pg_dump/pg_restore --jobs practical limit?

От Ron
Тема pg_dump/pg_restore --jobs practical limit?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I will "soon" migrate some 1+ TB database from Pg 9.6.24 on RHEL 6 VMs to Pg
14.latest on RHEL 8 VMs.  The VMs have 10Gbps "NICs", SAN-based LUNs managed
by LVM, and are all on ESX blades.  nproc count on some is 16 and on others
is 32.

Does anyone have experience as to the point of diminishing returns?

IOW, can I crank them processes up to --jobs=30, will I see no gain -- or
even degradation -- after, for example, --jobs=24?

This would be for both pg_dump and pg_restore (which would be run on the
RHEL 8 VM).

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.