Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments withpg_receivexlog

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments withpg_receivexlog
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/23/17 8:47 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Anything else than measured in bytes either requires a lookup at the
> file timestamp, which is not reliable with noatime or a lookup at WAL
> itself to decide when is the commit timestamp that matches the oldest
> point in time of the backup policy.

An indication that it'd be nice to have a better way to store this
information as part of a base backup, or the archived WAL files.

> That could be made performance
> wise with an archive command. With pg_receivexlog you could make use
> of the end-segment command to scan the completely written segment for
> this data before moving on to the next one. At least it gives an
> argument for having such a command. David Steele mentioned that he
> could make use of such a thing.

BTW, I'm not opposed to an end-segment command; I'm just saying I don't
think having it would really help users very much.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)