Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2022-05-31 at 12:32 +0300, Dmitry Koval wrote:
> There are not many commands in PostgreSQL for working with partitioned
> tables. This is an obstacle to their widespread use.
> Adding SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS operations can make easier to
> use partitioned tables in PostgreSQL.
> (This is especially important when migrating projects from ORACLE DBMS.)
>
> SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands are supported for range
> partitioning (BY RANGE) and for list partitioning (BY LIST).
> For hash partitioning (BY HASH) these operations are not supported.

+1 on the general idea.

At least, it will makes these operations simpler, but probably also less
invasive (no need to detach the affected partitions).

I didn't read the patch, but what lock level does that place on the
partitioned table?  Anything more than ACCESS SHARE?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe