Re: Starting Postgre

От caldodge@fpcc.net (Calvin Dodge)
Тема Re: Starting Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Timo Lehtinen" <timo@suorakanava.fi> wrote in message news:<9kljoc$2is7$1@news.tht.net>...
> I'am very new to linux and postgresql.  I just intalled Redhat7.1. and
> downloaded rpms and installed rpms. Now I'am stuck with startin the server
> itself. What do I have to do after I have installed rpms?  I found doc that
> said  I need to simply enter ../configure to configure server. What is
> this command 'configure' where do I need to execute it?

"configure" is used when you're compiling the database from source
code, so you don't need to use it if you installed Red Hat binary RPMs
(filenames end with "i386.rpm")

To start the database server, log in as root, then type:

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

That should get it going.

If you want that to happen automatically on startup, do:

chkconfig --add postgresql
chkconfig --level 345 postgresql on

Then you need to create a user account for yourself. Do:

#log in as root
su -
#switch to postgres owner
su - postgres
#this assumes your login account is "timo"
#answer "yes" when asked if you can create databases and other users
createuser timo

log back in as yourself, and do:

createdb timo
psql

psql is a Linux-based PostgreSQl client - it defaults to a database
with the same name as the user who starts it.

That should be enough to get you started, I think.

Calvin

Сообщение: Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?
Сообщение: Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?