Re: PostgreSQL occasionally unable to rename WAL files (NTFS)

От Guy Burgess
Тема Re: PostgreSQL occasionally unable to rename WAL files (NTFS)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 16/02/2021 12:23 am, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
>> The mystery now is that the only process logged as touching the
>> affected WAL files is postgres.exe (of which there are many separate
>> processes). Could it be that one of the postgres.exe instances is
>> holding the affected WAL files in use after another postgres.exe
>> instance has flagged the file as deleted?[...]
> I suggest checking your WAL-related and archive/backup settings for
> Postgres again. There's e.g. "archive_command" optionally copying WALs
> to some other place and postgres.exe would wait until that process has
> finished, maybe locking the file to copy itself as well. Or
> "archive_timeout" interfering with some other operations or alike.

Thanks Thorsten.  The WAL archive settings are out-of-the-box defaults,
i.e. disabled: archive_mode = off; archive_command = ''; archive_timeout
= 0.

I'm not sure there is anything else I can check at this time. The good
thing is it doesn't seem to cause any problem other than logging "could
not rename file" warnings, so I might have to park this for now. If I
find anything else that might offer a new lead I will report back.

Kind regards,

Guy