Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/12/2017 09:40 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh, Justin, Andres, Gunnar, Peter:
>

>> Most people won't know what that means. I can conclude that it means
>> that we can now connect to PostgreSQL and say, "please give me a read
>> only or a read/write host" but I am sure I am not 100% correct. I know
>> more about PostgreSQL than most who will care about this announcement.
>
> The idea is more to get people -- specifically driver and ORM authors --
> interested enough to bother looking up the feature.  Not to describe it
> in full, which would take a paragraph.

Sure but still, the line doesn't really mean anything. Perhaps:

* Driver API for read only or read/write database routing? (I know
that's wrong but I think you know what I am getting at.

>> * WAL support for Hash Indexes
>>
>> Crash safe Hash Indexes or ACID compliant Hash Indexes.
>
> Crash safe is good.
>

>> WAL is irrelevant in terms of the announcement.
>>
>> New "monitoring" roles for permission grants
>>
>> Is roles supposed to be plural?
>
> Yes.

Then let's list them with context. Something like:

New roles, x,y and z for monitoring purposes

>> Push Down Aggregates to Foreign Servers
>>
>> What does this mean? (I know what it means), the majority of our readers
>> will not.
>
> If you can come up with a wording here which is clearer but takes one
> line, be my guest.  I was unable to.

Planner support for aggregates on foreign (linked) tables

I added linked because it is a term that Oracle and MSSQL DBAs will get.

>> I don't think we need to say anything more than:
>>
>> Version 10 has a high number of backwards-incompatible changes. For a
>> list of these changes please see the [Release Notes](link to release
>> notes).
>
> I disagree. As a rule, we don't break backwards compatibility so pg 10
> is going to be a shock to a lot of people.  We really haven't seen this
> quantity of breakage since 8.3, which was released nine years ago, long
> before the majority of our current users were using Postgres.  Given
> that -- because of partiitoning and logical replication -- many users
> will want to upgrade to 10 the month it comes out, I think we need to
> point out *in detail* why they will want to do extra testing.  At a
> minimum, this includes the change in version numbering, the renaming of
> xlog to wal, and dropping support for FEBE 1.0.

We should point out IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL, in the release notes.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement