Creating blank records with sequential record numbers

От o.blomqvist@secomintl.com (Otto Blomqvist)
Тема Creating blank records with sequential record numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello!

I'm pretty sure this is an easy thing to do but I cant still figure
out how. I have a table with about 20 columns, one column being the
record_number. I want to insert 100'000 new records with 1, 2, 3, 4
... 100'000 in the record_number field. All the other columns can be
left at nulls or whatever the default is.

Right now I'm doing this using a "for" loop in my app. Not very fast
or smart

Any better ideas ?

Thanks

/Otto Blomqvist