Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take two

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take two
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/21/18 21:49, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 09:42:35AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> I'm super excited by the idea of multi-version support in TAP, if that's
>> what you mean.
>>
>> Why? Because I use TAP heavily in extensions. Especially replication
>> extensions. Which like to talk across multiple versions. I currently need
>> external test frameworks and some hideous hacks to do this.
>
> Okay, in front of such enthusiasm we could keep at least the refactoring
> part of PostgresNode.pm :)

I took a quick look at that part.  It appears to be quite invasive, more
than I would have hoped.  Basically, it imposes that from now on all
program invocations must observe the bindir setting, which someone is
surely going to forget.  The pg_upgrade tests aren't going to exercise
all possible paths where programs are called, so this is going to lead
to omissions and inconsistencies -- which will then possibly only be
found much later by the extensions that Craig was talking about.  I'd
like to see this more isolated, maybe via a path change, or something
inside system_or_bail or something less invasive and more maintainable.