Re: Question on Opteron performance

От William Yu
Тема Re: Question on Opteron performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve Wolfe wrote:
>    Before I shell out the $15k on the 4-way Opteron, I'm going to spend
> some long, hard time looking for ways to make the system more efficient.
> However, after all that's already been done, I'm not optimistic that it's
> going to preclude needing the new server.  I'm just surprised that nobody
> seems to have used PostgreSQL on a quad-Opteron before!

It's semi-logical why nobody has done it yet. Those who've gone with
Opteron servers have had to go with smaller vendors and usually the
profile of those types of buyers would be classes as price conscious. At
this time, only Newisys offers a Quad Opteron box and it carries a hefty
premium. (Sun's upcoming 4X machine is a rebadged Newisys machine and
it's possible HP's will be also.)

The picture should change with a few more vendors getting into the
4xOpteron arena. Once Tyan's S4880/4882 motherboards are available,
smaller vendors will be able to offer 4X servers.