Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/13/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:

> >> 10.
> >> Or an alternative to views where tables can be defined with virtual
> >> fields which point to functions. So for example I can say:
> >>           SELECT balance, name FROM customers WHERE balance < 0;
> >> ...where balance actually performs a behind the scenes JOIN against a
> >> transactions table and totals the customers credits and debits. I
> >> realize views can do this but for adding a single dynamic field they
> >> are cumbersome and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can
> >> UPDATE against a view.
> >
> > You are wrong, you can make updatable views.
>
>        Yes you can but not out of the box. You have to write some rules to make this
> go, isn't it ?
>
>        Aly.
>
> --
> Aly S.P Dharshi
> aly.dharshi@telus.net

There's some work on making views updatable, but even if the patch get
ready and accepted it will be just for simple views (just one table,
at least for the first release) for complex queries you still have to
write the rules...

The poster mentioned he want a column that "behinds the scene" do some
calculations, and that it's obviously a function as a column of the
view... and there is no chance that that column will be updatable
(rules created manually nor automatic)

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova