Re: User defined types -- Social Security number...

От Tom Hebbron
Тема Re: User defined types -- Social Security number...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Greg Patnude" <gpatnude@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Chaney" <mdchaney@michaelchaney.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:42:48AM -0800, Steve Crawford wrote:
> > > I missed the start of this thread but will chime in with a comment
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > My rule is to select an appropriate numeric type of data if you will
> > > be doing numeric types of things to it, character types if you will
> > > be doing character manipulations, etc.
> > >
> > > I don't know of any good reasons to need to know SSN/6.9, sqrt(SSN),
> > > SSN+7.86 but there are plenty of good reasons to need the first three
> > > characters (the "area number"), the middle two characters (the "group
> > > number", and the last 4 characters (the "serial number", often
> > > (ab)used as a password for banking and other purposes).
> >
> > Another excellent point.  I often store zip codes as text for this
> > reason.
> >
> > The only other thing that I would mention is that if the SSN field in
> > the db will be a key of some sort, which is often the case, then it
> > might be more efficient to store it as an integer.  It might be more
> > efficient to store it as a character string.  The author should test
> > in this case to determine the most efficient way.
> >
> > As for character vs. integer manipulations, in most scripting style
> > languages, which is pretty much exlusively what I use, there's no
> > need to think about types, and something like an SSN will silently
> > change between being character or integer depending on what operations
> > are being performed on it.
> >
> > Michael
> > --
> > Michael Darrin Chaney
> > mdchaney@michaelchaney.com
> > http://www.michaelchaney.com/

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match
> >

> Ther are some other points I'd like to make --
>
> If I store the SSN as an integer -- theoretically -- leading zeroes will
be
> stripped (041-99-9999) -- my OWN ssn is a perfect example of this as it
> starts with a leading zero...
>
> This would cause a problem in that one of the requirements of an SSN is
that
> the length be exactly 9 digits or 9 chars WITHOUT the dashes.... so a
CHECK
> CONSTRAINT would be useful...
>
> But if the SSN is stored as an integer -- there is no check constraint
that
> wouldn't fail for SSNs that start with one or more zeroes.... So I thought
> how about a varchar(9) field and insert/update triggers that do the
> formatting (adding the dashes on insert/update --) and validate the check
> contraints (9 chars + the dashes)...
>
> The two extra characters making a varchar(11) field are not a concern in
the
> normalization or schema... I simply wanted a formatting function so that I
> dont have to do it in my scripting language or use the same CAST over and
> over and over in my select/insert/update statements....
>
> I am mainly looking to do the formatting automatically rather than having
> constantly format such a simple piece of data...
>
> It would be really sweet in postgreSQL if we could apply the equivalent of
> printf(columnname) to the table definition -- MS Access has what they call
> an "input mask" and it comes in really handy -- however -- I havent used
> Access for anthing serious for about 4 years...
>

> --
> Greg Patnude / The Digital Demention
> 2916 East Upper Hayden Lake Road
> Hayden Lake, ID 83835
> (208) 762-0762

You might want to look at CREATE DOMAIN

e.g. (for ISBNs, we want to check the format, and the check digit - replace
with suitable regex and validation function for social security numbers)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION utilities."validate_ISBN_check_digit"(char(10))
RETURNS boolean AS '  DECLARE     isbn_sum int:=0;  BEGIN     IF ($1 ~ ''^[0-9]{9}[0-9Xx]{1}$''::text) THEN        FOR
iIN 1..10 LOOP           isbn_sum:= CASE                       WHEN substring($1 from i for 1) IN (''X'',''x'') AND

i=10 THEN isbn_sum + (11-i * 10)                       ELSE isbn_sum + (11-i * substring($1 from i for
1)::int)                      END;        END LOOP;        IF mod(isbn_sum,11) = 0 THEN           RETURN ''t'';
ENDIF;     END IF;     RETURN ''f'';  END;

' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
COMMENT ON FUNCTION utilities."validate_ISBN_check_digit"(char(10)) is
'validation function for ISBN check digits';

CREATE DOMAIN utilities."ISBN" AS char(10) CONSTRAINT "ISBN format" CHECK
(VALUE ~ '^[0-9]{9}[0-9Xx]{1}$'::text) CONSTRAINT "ISBN checkdigit" CHECK
(utilities."validate_ISBN_check_digit"(VALUE));

Hope that helps

--
Tom Hebbron
www.hebbron.com