Re: how can I fix my accent issues?

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: how can I fix my accent issues?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2023-12-11 at 13:54 -0500, Igniris Valdivia Baez wrote:
> El sáb, 9 dic 2023 a las 1:01, Laurenz Albe (<laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>) escribió:
> >
> > On Fri, 2023-12-08 at 23:58 -0500, Igniris Valdivia Baez wrote:
> > > hello, I have an ETL process collecting data from a postgresql
> > > database and xls files and inserting in a postgresql database that
> > > process occurs great in a local DB in postgres 14 with UTF8
> > > codification and Spanish_Cuba.1952 collation but when I execute that
> > > process in dev which is in postgres 15 and UTF8 with collation
> > > en_US.utf8 the words with accents and ñ looks like an interrogation
> > > symbol, what can I do to fix this?
> >
> > If the data you are sending are encoded in WINDOWS-1252 (I assume that
> > "1952" is just a typo), you should set the client encoding to WIN1252,
> > so that PostgreSQL knows how to convert the data correctly.
> >
> > You can do that in several ways; the simplest might be to set the
> > environment variable PGCLIENTENCODING to WIN1252.
>
> hello to all, thanks for your answers i've changed the encoding using this:
> ALTER DATABASE testdb
> SET client_encoding = WIN1252;
>
> now when we try to select data from a table we get this error:
>
> ERROR: character with byte sequence 0xe2 0x80 0x8b in encoding "UTF8"
> has no equivalent in encoding "WIN1252" SQL state: 22P05ERROR:
> character with byte sequence 0xe2 0x80 0x8b in encoding "UTF8" has no
> equivalent in encoding "WIN1252" SQL state: 22P05

So that was not the correct encoding.

Unfortunately your problem description lacks the precision required
to give a certain answer.  You'll have to figure out what encoding the
application data have and how the client encoding is set in the case
where the non-ASCII characters look right and when the don't.

You should also investigate what bytes are actually stored in the database
in both cases.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe