Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/10/30 10:29, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> ,
>
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 00:16, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

youcan confirm the sender and know the content is safe.

>>> Thank you for updating the patch!
>>>
>>> I've looked at the patch and revised a bit the formatting etc.
>>>
>>> After some thoughts, I think it might be better to report the waiting
>>> time as well. it would help users and there is no particular reason
>>> for logging the report only once. It also helps make the patch clean
>>> by reducing the variables such as recovery_conflict_logged. I’ve
>>> implemented it in the v8 patch.
>>
>> I read v8 patch. Here are review comments.
>
> Thank you for your review.
>

>> When recovery conflict with buffer pin happens, log message is output
>> every deadlock_timeout. Is this intentional behavior? If yes, IMO that's
>> not good because lots of messages can be output.
>
> Agreed.
>
> if we were to log the recovery conflict only once in bufferpin
> conflict case, we would log it multiple times only in lock conflict
> case. So I guess it's better to do that in all conflict cases.

Yes, I agree that this behavior basically should be consistent between all cases.

>> +       if (log_recovery_conflict_waits)
>> +               waitStart = GetCurrentTimestamp();
>>
>> What happens if log_recovery_conflict_waits is off at the beginning and
>> then it's changed during waiting for the conflict? In this case, waitStart is
>> zero, but log_recovery_conflict_waits is on. This may cause some problems?
>
> Hmm, I didn't see a path that happens to reload the config file during
> waiting for buffer cleanup lock. Even if the startup process receives
> SIGHUP during that, it calls HandleStartupProcInterrupts() at the next
> convenient time. It could be the beginning of main apply loop or
> inside WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable() and so on but I didn’t see it in
> the wait loop for taking a buffer cleanup.

Yes, you're right. I seem to have read the code wrongly.

> However, I think it’s
> better to use (waitStart > 0) for safety when checking if we log the
> recovery conflict instead of log_recovery_conflict_waits.
>

>> +                       if (report_waiting)
>> +                               ts = GetCurrentTimestamp();
>>
>> GetCurrentTimestamp() doesn't need to be called every cycle
>> in the loop after "logged" is true and "new_status" is not NULL.
>
> Agreed
>

>> +extern const char *get_procsignal_reason_desc(ProcSignalReason reason);
>>
>> Is this garbage?
>
> Yes.
>

>> When log_lock_waits is enabled, both "still waiting for ..." and "acquired ..."
>> messages are output. Like this, when log_recovery_conflict_waits is enabled,
>> not only "still waiting ..." but also "resolved ..." message should be output?
>> The latter message might not need to be output if the conflict is canceled
>> due to max_standby_xxx_delay parameter. The latter message would be
>> useful to know how long the recovery was waiting for the conflict. Thought?
>> It's ok to implement this as a separate patch later, though.
>
> There was a discussion that the latter message without waiting time is
> not necessarily needed because the canceled process will log
> "canceling statement due to conflict with XXX" as you mentioned. I
> agreed with that. But I agree that the latter message with waiting
> time would help users, for instance when the startup process is
> waiting for multiple processes and it takes a time to cancel all of
> them.

I agree that it's useful to output the wait time.

But as I told in previous email, it's ok to focus on the current patch
for now and then implement this as a separate patch later.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Сообщение: Re: MINUS SIGN (U+2212) in EUC-JP encoding is mapped to FULLWIDTH HYPHEN-MINUS (U+FF0D) in UTF-8
Сообщение: Re: MINUS SIGN (U+2212) in EUC-JP encoding is mapped to FULLWIDTH HYPHEN-MINUS (U+FF0D) in UTF-8