Re: Get rid of /static/ in doc urls?

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Get rid of /static/ in doc urls?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 11/5/18 7:43 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 5:38 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/19/18 6:30 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>     > On 10/19/18 6:26 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> For reasons I can't quite understand the /static/ in the docs URL
>     bugs
>     >> me, now that we don't have /interactive/ anymore.  Could we just
>     shorten
>     >> that out of the URL?  The redirects shouldn't be problematic...
>     >>
>     >
>     > Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
>     >
>     >> I think as long as we issue the right redirects, search engines
>     >> shouldn't be troubled by this, but my knowledge about this kind
>     of stuff
>     >> is severely outdated.
>     >>
>     >
>     > We would need permanent redirects, but those are not hard to set up,
>     > especially in Django (or at the webserver level if we wanted to be
>     super
>     > efficient).
>     >
>     > AFAIK this should be fairly trivial (and a good idea to do) so I'd +1
>     > the change. I think, again, it's a matter if we want to apply it
>     at the
>     > Django or webserver level.
>
>     Attached are a series of patches that accomplishes safely removing
>     `/static/` in the doc URLs.
>
>     The first patch does exactly that: whenever someone tries to browse to a
>     docs URL, e.g. "/docs/current/static/index.html" it will permanently
>     redirect the user to "/docs/current/index.html"
>

> One of the redirects is set as permanent and the other one
> non-permanent. Granted it's just a change of a previous redirect, but is
> there any reason to have different kinds of redirect e.g. for root page
> vs other pages?

I think given the nature of the change, it could be a permanent
redirect. I've adjusted this in the code and reattached.

One could also argue that the temp redirect triggered by this line:

if ver >= 10 and version.find('.') > -1:
    # Version 10 and up, but specified as 10.0 / 11.0 etc, so redirect
back without the
    # decimal.
    return HttpResponseRedirect("/docs/{0}/{1}.html".format(int(ver),
filename))

could be made a permanent redirect too, given the change of the number
scheme. Thoughts?

>     The second patch updates all the references on the site to use the new
>     format. The pith of it is in the presskits; I did opt to update those as
>     the less references we have to the old URL scheme, the better.
>

> I notice there are still some references to /interactive/ in old
> presskits. I suggest fixing that at the same time.

Yeah...wow. And some where there up until 9.6 too. I also caught a few
more statics in the process. Attached.

>     Contrary to some earlier comments about handling this in varnish, etc.
>     after reviewing some of the logic surrounding the docs, it is better we
>     handle this on the Django level.
>

> We may want to put a shortcut in at the varnish level as well, but I
> definitely think it needs to be handled at the django level as well - at
> least. We can decide later if just the django level is enough.

+1.

Jonathan

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: