Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT

От Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Тема Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
   Tom> I tend to agree with the opinion that Oracle's architecture   Tom> is based on twenty-year-old assumptions.
Backthen it was   Tom> reasonable to assume that database-specific algorithms could   Tom> outperform a general-purpose
operatingsystem.  In today's   Tom> environment that assumption is not a given.

In fact:
  Michael Stonebraker: Operating System Support for Database Management.   CACM 24(7): 412-418 (1981)
  Abstract:
            Several operating system services are examined with a            view toward their applicability to support
ofdatabase            management functions. These services include buffer pool            management; the file system;
scheduling,process            management, and interprocess communication; and            consistency control.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh