Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

От Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Тема Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

   Christopher> Ah, but do "papers" honestly indicate the emergence   Christopher> of some underlying theoretical model
forwhich   Christopher> fidelity could be evaluated?

Certainly. The model is that of semi-structured data, where often
times schema isn't very clearly defined. It's a different model from
the relational model - which I'm partial to. There are situations
where the XML model does make sense.
   Christopher> Or merely that academics are looking to write papers   Christopher> on whatever topics can attract
researchfunding?

Bash academics if you want. The truth is that industry is also working
on it.

As I said before, I have no axe to grind in this. I might be in
academia now, but frankly I couldn't give a toss about XML.
   Christopher> Half the articles in SIGOS have been about pretend   Christopher> applications of Java to operating
systems;why does   Christopher> it seem likely that the "database academics" are any   Christopher> less affected by
this?

I think you are looking at the wrong publishing location :-) The
premier venue for the OS community are the SOSP and OSDI
conferences. Please look at the SOSP04 papers - you'll find fairly
good systems work.

BTW, I'm not sure which database papers you read - the premeer venues
for database systems work are the SIGMOD and VLDB conferences.
   Christopher> CODASYL had a query system, albeit something that   Christopher> looked more like assembly language
thananything

Please take a fair look at the XQuery data model and the XQuery
language before comparing it with CODASYL. I will not admit (at least
in public :-) to being a big fan of XQuery but that is because of
certain details, not anything fundamental.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh