Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

От Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Тема Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
   >> "Relational" is all about theory and proving things   >> mathematically correct. "MV" is all about engineering
and  >> getting the result. And if that means pinching all the best   >> ideas we can find from relational, then we're
engineers- of   >> course we'll do it :-)

   Josh> "Relational" is all about preserving the *long-term*   Josh> integrity, utility, and accessability of your
data. "MV" is   Josh> all about getting an expedient result immediately and to   Josh> heck with the future.

To emphasize the *long-term* - relational is all about separating
physical database representation from a logical view of the data.

Josh, I'll be happy to meet at Intermezzo - after Nov 24 perhaps. I
have a conference deadline .. the papers that we write "just to secure
funding" - your tax dollars at work. Long live the NSF !

BTW, I'm not necessarily that far from your views. There is, however,
more to an XML database than just storing data - relational databases
do just fine there. The tools that are used to build database systems
have other uses - for instance XML message brokers.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 compatibility question
От: Jon Jensen
Сообщение: Re: integer ceiling in LIMIT and OFFSET