Re: performance of foreign key constraints

От teknokrat
Тема Re: performance of foreign key constraints
Дата
Re: performance of foreign key constraints  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
Список pgsql-performance
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, teknokrat wrote:
>

>>I have a table that has about 20 foreign key constraints on it. I think
>>this is a bit excessive and am considering removing them ( they are all
>>related to the same table and I don't think there is much chance of any
>>integrity violations ). Would this improve performance or not?
>

> It depends on your frequency of inserts/updates to the table with the
> constraint and the frequency of update/delete to the table(s) being
> refered to. My guess is probably.  You may wish to leave some of the
> constraints (decide which are the most important), but 20 does seem a bit
> excessive in general.

The references are all to the same table i.e. they are employee ids, so
leaving some and not others would make no sense. The table has no
deletes, small amount of inserts and moderate amount of updates. However
there are many selects and its their performance I am most concerned with.

thanks

Сообщение: Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests
Сообщение: Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests