Re: 21 bit number for sequence

От Shoaib Mir
Тема Re: 21 bit number for sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Dawid. I also used something similar to that kind of approach and its working for me.

/Shoaib

On 4/18/06, Dawid Kuroczko < qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/15/06, Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually that is the application requirment to use 21 bit numbers as porting it from Oracle where it used to work.

Yeah now i have decided to use a numeric data type in a table and use that to write my own nextval and currval functions for that purpose.

Something like:
CREATE SEQUENCE some_id_seq;
CREATE TABLE foo (
    some_id bit(21) DEFAULT nextval('some_id_seq')::bit(21),
    t text
);
insert into foo(t) values ('a');
insert into foo(t) values ('bar');
insert into foo(t) values ('baz');
insert into foo(some_id,t) values ('100000000000000100000', 'uhh');
SELECT * FROM foo;
       some_id         t
000000000000000000001 a
000000000000000000010 bar