Re: 21 bit number for sequence

От Shoaib Mir
Тема Re: 21 bit number for sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Actually what i want to do is store 100000000000000100000 as the maximum value in sequence. Is there a way for it ?

Thanks,
Shoaib

On 4/15/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:24:59AM +0500, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Right now Sequence by default uses bigint which supports upto 19bit numbers
> but I want to use a 21bit that can be supported by NUMERIC datatype. Is
> there any way I can sepcify while creating a sequence what datatype to use
> or if I can specify to create sequence with numeric datatype?

What do you mean by 19bit? Normal ints support upto 31 bits and bigints
upto 2^63 positive numbers.

Maybe you mean 19 *digit* numbers, which is about what a bigint can do.
Well, that's more numbers than you're ever likely to generate so that
question become: why do you need a sequence with that kind of range?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   < kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/

Сообщение: Re: 21 bit number for sequence
Сообщение: Re: 21 bit number for sequence