Re: meson: pgxs Makefile.global differences

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: meson: pgxs Makefile.global differences
Дата
Re: meson: pgxs Makefile.global differences  ("Tristan Partin" <tristan@neon.tech>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-17 Th 16:51, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

On 2023-08-17 14:45:54 -0500, Tristan Partin wrote:
On Thu Aug 17, 2023 at 2:32 PM CDT, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
I started digging into a warning I noticed on my FDW builds where
Postgres is built with meson, e.g. <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=crake&dt=2023-08-16%2018%3A37%3A25&stg=FileTextArrayFDW-build>
which has this:

cc1: warning: ‘-Wformat-security’ ignored without ‘-Wformat’
[-Wformat-security]

I found that the pgxs Makefile.global built under meson is a bit
different. On debug builds for both this is what I get on HEAD (meson)
and REL_15_STABLE (autoconf), stripped of the current components:
I assume "current" means the flags that are present in both cases?

          HEAD: CFLAGS =-Wshadow=compatible-local
REL_15_STABLE: CFLAGS =-Wall  -g

The warning is apparently due to the missing -Wall.

Shouldn't we be aiming for pretty much identical settings?
The difference for -Wshadow=compatible-local is due to changes between 15 and
HEAD.

We're indeed not adding -Wall right now (the warning level is handled by
meson, so it doesn't show up in our cflags right now).

I agree that they should be identical. The meson bild should definitely be
aiming for 100% compatibility for the Makefile.global.
I don't think that's feasible. It was a fair bit of work to get the most
important contents to match, while skipping lots of things that are primarily
relevant for building the server (which isn't relevant for pgxs).

That said, in this specific case, I agree, we should likely emit -Wall to
Makefile.global in meson as well.

Where should we do that? And how about the -g that's also missing for debug-enabled builds?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan