Re: Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs
Дата
Re: Postgres alpha testing docs and general test packs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
2009/10/28 Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net>:
>> Entirely new features are easier to deal with though.  I still would,
>> however, want something like a detailed version of Josh's post which
>> breaks down where the changes have occurred.  It seems quite scattered
>> and unclear at the moment.
>>
>> Thom
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-5.html

Thanks Adrian.  I just wasn't looking hard enough obviously :)  That
list still doesn't appear to be explicit enough though as we have
"Multiple improvements in contrib/hstore, including raising limits on
keys and values".  What exactly is meant by limit, what was this limit
before and what has it been raised to?

Similarly: "Fix encoding handling in binary input function of xml
type."  What was the problem before?

And: "Allow the collection of statistics on sequences".  How would
your average end-user see whether these statistics are being colelcted
on sequences?  And are these statistics actually used anywhere yet?

I'm not really asking for the answer to those questions.  I'm pointing
out that it isn't clear (at least to me) how to determine what exactly
has been fixed in order to test it.  This doesn't apply to everything
listed as some of it is quite clear, like "pg_dump/pg_restore --clean
now drops large objects."

Thanks

Thom