Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It is running on 64-bit Gentoo 2.6.25.

You might be right about needing to increase the shared buffers.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to give that a try

2009/1/8 Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com>
Thom,

> I have a server running 8.3.1 with 16Gb of memory and 8x2.5Ghz cores.  The
> max_connections was set to 100 (the default), but we were getting denied
> connections because it had exceeded the max.  We increased this to a modest
> 250, stopped the service, and then tried to start.  It wouldn't.  We stopped
> it several times, made sure all postgres-related processes were killed off
> but nothing would make it start.  Actually, it said it had started, but it
> hadn't.  When setting it back to 100 it was okay again.  We tried the same
> thing on another server, setting it to 1000, and that was fine.

Maybe you are missing:

# Note:  Increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per
# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).  You might
# also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.

To help debugging, your report is essentially missing the operating
system your computer is running on and the output from the log files.
If PostgreSQL does not start, it writes out a reason to its logfiles.
For example in default installations on Windows you will find your
logfiles within the PostgreSQL-Data-Directory in subdir pg_log

best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Сообщение: Re: RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue)
Сообщение: Re: RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue)