Re: Distinct oddity

От Glenn Maynard
Тема Re: Distinct oddity
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
For purposes of DISTINCT, I'd expect any sort order should do; all it
needs is for equal values to be grouped together.  If strcoll() ever
fails to do that, I'd call it a critical bug--even throwing total
garbage at it should result in a consistent ordering, even if the
ordering itself is totally meaningless.  Many sort functions depend on
this.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Maximilian Tyrtania
<maximilian.tyrtania@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Opened those files (with textwrangler, as I 've never used sed), stripped
> off the '$', sorted and looked at the differences (using textwranglers
> "compare documents"-feature).

Can you narrow down what triggers this?  Try copying off the table,
and running this:

******
CREATE FUNCTION is_inconsistent() RETURNS BOOLEAN LANGUAGE SQL AS $$select (select count(distinct(f.bezeichnung))
fromfirmen_copy f) <>              (select count(distinct(f.bezeichnung||'1')) from firmen_copy f)

$$;

-- If deleting [first,last] leaves the results inconsistent, return
true; otherwise
-- roll back the deletion and return false.
CREATE FUNCTION test_delete_range(first BIGINT, last BIGINT)
RETURNS BOOLEAN LANGUAGE plpgsql AS $$
BEGIN       DELETE FROM firmen_copy WHERE id BETWEEN first AND last;       IF is_inconsistent() THEN RETURN true; END
IF;      SELECT 1/0;

EXCEPTION       WHEN division_by_zero THEN               RETURN false;
END;
$$;

CREATE FUNCTION test_func()
RETURNS INTEGER LANGUAGE plpgsql AS $$
DECLARE       total bigint;
BEGIN       IF NOT is_inconsistent() THEN RETURN -1; END IF;
       LOOP               total := (SELECT MAX(id) FROM firmen_copy);
               IF test_delete_range(0, total/2) THEN CONTINUE; END IF;               IF test_delete_range(total*1/4,
total*3/4)THEN

CONTINUE; END IF;               IF test_delete_range(total/2, total) THEN CONTINUE; END IF;
               RETURN 0;       END LOOP;
END;
$$;

SELECT test_func();
******

This assumes you have a primary key named "id", and that your IDs
start around 0 and are vaguely monotonic (renumber them in the copy if
necessary).  I can't easily test this code, of course, but it's a
simple binary search.  Depending on what's triggering this, it may or
may not be able to narrow in on a test case.

Tangentally, is there a better way of rolling back a function than a
dumb hack like "SELECT 1/0"?

--
Glenn Maynard