Re: Table Partitions / Partial Indexes

От Mike C
Тема Re: Table Partitions / Partial Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 12/14/05, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Maybe not for queries, but if you use a date range then you never need
to run a DELETE and never need to VACUUM.

You could split the data into two-day chunks.

That's an interesting idea, thanks.

> Am I using a horrid method for partitioning the data? (% 10)

No, but what benefit do you think it provides. I'm not sure I see...

I was trying to get both the indexes to be smaller without loosing selectivity, and make any table scans/index scans faster from having to read less data.

> Should there be that big of an improvement for multiple tables given
> that all the data is still stored on the same filesystem?

You could store partitions in separate tablespaces/filesystems.

Ideally that's what I would do, but to make the most of that I would have to have a dedicated RAID setup for each partition right? (Which is a bit pricey for the budget).

Cheers,

Mike

Сообщение: Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex
Сообщение: Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex