Re: PostgreSQL vs MariaDB

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs MariaDB
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Inzamam Shafiq schrieb am 24.03.2023 um 12:07:
> Can someone please list pros and cons of MariaDB vs PostgreSQL that
> actually needs serious consideration while choosing the right
> database for large OLTP DBs (Terabytes)?

As others have pointed out, this is really hard to quantify.

For large databases, I would assume that Postgres' parallel
queries is a major advantage over MariaDB

 From a management perspective, having transactional DDL makes
a lot of things easier (or more robust)

I am maintaining a very high-level overview, if you are interested

   https://www.sql-workbench.eu/dbms_comparison.html

I do not claim that this is complete or 100% accurate. And it focuses
on SQL level features. Not so much on management or monitoring features
which are typically a major concern in large scale databases.

In the end, each database product has its quirks and problems
(some more than others).

I think Postgres' weakest point is the MVCC implementation.
Which typically is not really a problem, but there are usage
patterns where it can become a problem, especially if not dealt
with properly.

Thomas