Re: Where to save data used by extension ?

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Where to save data used by extension ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hao Wu wrote:
> I have an extension for postgresql. The extension works across some databases, and needs to save some data.
> The data might be modified dynamically by the extension, and all the changed result must be saved. I have considered
somemethods.

> 1. Use GUC
> I find no easy way to write the GUC values back to postgres.conf. And the data might be a bit complex
> 2. Create a table under a special database, like postgres
> The weak is the strong assumption that the database postgres does exist and will not be dropped.
> 3. Create a table under a database created by the extension
> A little heavy, but without dependencies.
> 4. Write to a native file.
> The file can not sync to a standby
>
> Currently, I use #2. Is there any better way to do this?

Only 2 and 3 are feasible.

Since extensions have a schema, and the database is the best place to persist
data for a database extension, I'd use a table in the extension schema, so I'd
go for 3.

Why is that heavier than 2?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe