(Re)-indexing on updates

От Yves Vindevogel
Тема (Re)-indexing on updates
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

Say I have a table with column A, B, C, D

A has a unique index on it (primary key)

B and C have a normal index on it

D has no index

If I perform a query like    update tbl set D = 'whatever' ;

that should make no difference on the indexes on the other columns,
right ?

Or is there some kind of mechanism that does create a sort of new
record, thus makes the indexes go wild.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bien à vous,

Kind regards,

<bold>Yves Vindevogel</bold>

<bold>Implements</bold>

<smaller>

</smaller>Hi,

Say I have a table with column A, B, C, D
A has a unique index on it (primary key)
B and C have a normal index on it
D has no index

If I perform a query like    update tbl set D = 'whatever' ;
that should make no difference on the indexes on the other columns,
right ?

Or is there some kind of mechanism that does create a sort of new
record, thus makes the indexes go wild.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

<smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

<italic><x-tad-smaller>

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller></italic></smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.

Вложения