Re: Help request to improve function performance

От Seref Arikan
Тема Re: Help request to improve function performance
Дата
Re: Help request to improve function performance  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Filip,
First of all: thanks a lot for your kind response. Here is the create script for my schema:

CREATE TABLE "app"."archetype_data" (
  "id" BIGINT NOT NULL,
  "context_id" VARCHAR(1000),
  "archetype_name" VARCHAR(1000),
  "archetype_path" VARCHAR(1000),
  "name" VARCHAR(1000),
  "value_string" VARCHAR(1000),
  "value_int" BIGINT,
  "value_double" DOUBLE PRECISION,
  "session_id" VARCHAR(1000),
  "instance_index" INTEGER,
  CONSTRAINT "archetype_data_pkey" PRIMARY KEY("id")
) WITHOUT OIDS;

Now, regarding your feedback, here are the points, hoping that you can give me feedback, and bring me up to speed in the topic, for I've been in the upper layers of the software world for so long :) Please forgive me for further questions:

Are you telling me that due to name resolution process, my use of variable and column names for context_id and session_id are causing problems? I'll change variable names into names which would be obviously different from column names.

I used the temp table to speed up the following selects, since the actual table has more than 9 million rows. after creating the temp table, I am selecting from 50K rows. Am I wrong about the performance gain here? What would you suggest instead?

Temp tables forced me to use execute, after hitting a known problem, also expressed in the faq, is this what you're talking about?

I will be investing serious time into postgresql from now on, and I hope you can give me couple of useful hints, to ease my way forward :) Looking at the schema, can you think of a better way to send this result set to a java based app?

Many thanks again

Kind regards
Seref