position in DDL of columns used in indexes

От Michael Gould
Тема position in DDL of columns used in indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

In other SQL engines that I've used, it is recommended that the columns that are used in various indexes be placed at the beginning of a row since at some point (depending on the engine and/or pagesize) wide rows could end up on other pages.  From a performance standpoint on large tables this makes a big difference.  Is the same true with Postgres.  Should I try and make sure that my indexes fit in the first 8192 bytes?

Bes Regards

Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904.226.0978