Re: walsender.c fileheader comment

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: walsender.c fileheader comment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/19/24 07:02, Peter Smith wrote:

>> To conclude, I think this probably makes the comments more confusing. If
>> we want to make it clearer, I'd probably start by clarifying what the
>> "stopping" state means. Also, it's a bit surprising we may not actually
>> go through the "stopping" state during shutdown.
>>

> I agree. My interpretation of the (ambiguous) "stopping" state led me
> to believe the comment was quite wrong. So, this thread was only
> intended as a trivial comment fix in passing but clearly there is more
> to this than I anticipated. I would be happy if someone with more
> knowledge about the WALSNDSTATE_STOPPING versus got_STOPPING could
> disambiguate the file header comment, but that's not me, so I have
> withdrawn this from the Commitfest.

Understood. Thanks for the patch anyway, I appreciate you took the time
to try to improve the comments!

I agree the state transitions in walsender are not very clear, and the
fact that it may shutdown without ever going through STOPPING state is
quite confusing. That being said, I personally don't have ambition to
improve this.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra