Re: Arduino SQL Connector

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Arduino SQL Connector
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve, please stop top-posting, especially if others bottom-post. It turns
the messages a hard to follow mess. I took the liberty to reshuffle the
parts a bit.

On 18 Duben 2014, 6:09, Steve Spence wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> wrote:
>> On 04/17/14 20:01, Steve Spence wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to port my application from mysql to postgres (for the GIS
>>> supoort). I had hoped there would be wild enthsuiasm for such a
>>> project, as the Arduino community is extremely large, and this would
>>> push postgres into a wider audience. I expected it would take multiple
>>> people with varying backgrounds to accomplish the task. If you can do
>>> it on your own, great. I'll be happy to lend what knowledge I have of
>>> the Arduino and using the mysql connector -
>>

>> This is a pattern I've seen for over a decade now. People think that
>> randomly sprinkling "MySQL" into a discussion will generate "wild
>> enthusiasm" for supporting "their attempt to port *their* appli ..."
>> wait
>> ... oh ... didn't work again?

Yeah. "MySQL does X" is not an argument for us to do X too.

> You know what? Fine, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm happy to
> continue using MySQL. It works with the Arduino quite nicely. Postgres
> doesn't work. That's Postgres loss not mine. I really thought the
> postgres team would be interested in providing support for a very
> popular microcontroller system. If not, they are missing out on a
> larger segment of users.

Please, enough of this "Fine with me, if you're not interested!" attitude.

What exactly have you expected to happen, given the (minimal) amount of
info you provided initially? Had you wanted to get us excited, you'd
post an explanation of how exciting the project is, what it does etc.

> The MySQL connector is copyrighted and GPL'd by Oracle, it would be

It's witten by a person who happens to work for Oracle and apparently is
an arduino hacker too. That's exactly what Jan Wieck explained above.
And it's also very different from "Oracle decided to support arduino."

> nice if Postgres would do something similar for those that prefer
> using Postgres instead of forcing people touse MySQL. My mistake in
> thinking this might be the case. Or Maybe Jan doesn't speak for
> Postgres .....

We're not forcing anyone to use anything. But we're not responsible for
supporting every use-case that is out there either, that's not how this
community works IMHO.

But actually we already did a lot of work to support even your use case.
For example we have a great documentation of how the protocol works [1],
with detailed explanation of how to send simple queries [2].

If all you need is a simple authentication (trust, plaintext, md5) and
simple queries (insert as a single string), it's pretty trivial.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/protocol.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/protocol-flow.html#AEN91596

Feel free to ask if you run into some issues here.

regards
Tomas

PS: I do share the view that sending the data to a simple proxy (e.g. a
    simple process waiting for data sent over UDP), forwarding the data
    to PostgreSQL would be simpler/cleaner/...