Re: BUG #18500: Detaching a partition with an index manually attached to the parent's index triggers Assert

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: BUG #18500: Detaching a partition with an index manually attached to the parent's index triggers Assert
Дата
Ответ на Re: BUG #18500: Detaching a partition with an index manually attached to the parent's index triggers Assert  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, 2024-06-29 at 19:56 +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-Jun-29, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>
> > My example that triggered this assert runs just fine on v16.
>
> Well, in a build without assertions enabled then yes it doesn't crash.
> But if you do have asserts enabled in 16, it does crash.
>
> > So while an error is clearly better than a crash, that would constitute
> > a regression.  Is that really unavoidable?  It would be very unfortunate
> > if the only way to detach a partition would be to drop some indexes first...
>
> The error would not occur on detach, but on attach, and it'd be intended
> to prevent an inconsistent situation.  I'm proposing that on older
> branches we do what Tender proposed elsewhere, namely to cope with the
> detach without crashing (and without leaving inconsistent catalog state,
> such as bogus coninhcount values).

I should have read more closely, sorry.  That's great then; sorry for the noise.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe