Re: Found small issue with OUT params

От Mike Rylander
Тема Re: Found small issue with OUT params
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> writes:
> > Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you think even if a
> > single param is declared as OUT it should return the name of the OUT param?
>
> Not really, because "create function foo (in x int, out y float)" is
> supposed to have the same external behavior as "create function foo
> (in x int) returns float".  I agree it's a bit of a judgment call, but
> I do not see a case for changing it.

Just my $0.02, but that seems inconsistent.  In my mind, the
difference between functions with OUT params and functions that return
a RECORD (or a specific rowtype) is syntactic sugar.  I'm pretty sure
that this was used to explain the implementation when it was being
discussed, in fact.

Using that logic, a functions with one OUT param would be the same as
a function returning a rowtype with only one column, and the one
column in such a rowtype certainly has a name of it's own.

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com