Re: to_ascii, or some other form of magic transliteration

От Mike Rylander
Тема Re: to_ascii, or some other form of magic transliteration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/10/05, Ben <bench@silentmedia.com> wrote:
> Hrm, I must be missing something, because I don't see how this will
> transliterate to ASCII?

If you want non-western text to be Romanized you can take a look at
Text::Unicode(1).  The functionality in the chunk of perl I sent
before was stripping of non spacing mark (accents, rings, umlauts and
such).  You may need to strip other character classes if you've got
unicode punctuation codepoints in the text to be searched.

For the example you gave, the process is to decompose the character
"å" to normalization form D, "a" and the unicode non spacing mark for
the ring, and then removing the non spacing mark (the ring diacritic)
with the regex s/\pM//sog.  That will leave just the ASCII "a" in the
text, and the text can the be treated as pure ASCII, because it no
longer contains any unicode codepoints with an ord() above 127.  You
may want to look here(2) for an explanation and examples of Unicode
normalization forms.

If you don't need that much functionality (handling arbitrary unicode
text), and you're dealing strictly with the Latin1 subset of unicode,
you can just create a mapping table or hash to transliterate down to
ASCII, as done here(3).

1) http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Text-Unidecode/Text/Unidecode.html
2) http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/#Canonical_Composition_Examples
3) http://www.eprints.org/files/eprints2/eprints-2.2/defaultcfg/ArchiveTextIndexingConfig.pm