initdb problem with Windows Installer for PostgreSQL 8.2.4

От brrCv
Тема initdb problem with Windows Installer for PostgreSQL 8.2.4
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I have searched this group and have found where others have reported
issues with initdb.

A couple of our Windows XP SP2 customers are having problems upgrading
to our latest release which includes version 8.2.4 of PostgreSQL.
They are logged on as a local Windows admin.  We use the MSI with
silent install, installing as a service and creating a service
account.

The main problem we are seeing is that initdb fails during the silent
install with a permissions error.  There is no log for initdb in the
tmp directory.  I have read the PostgreSQL Windows Installer FAQ page
that informs that the directories leading up to the install directory
must have read access for the service account.

I am not a Windows security expert by any means, so I am a little out
of my realm here.  My understanding is the initdb process is run as
the service account that was just created.  Since this account is
created by the installer, what privileges will it be given?  Does it
inherit the privileges from a particular group?  I have tried setting
read access for Everyone on the parent directory, ie: C:\.  Should I
be setting some other group's privilege also?

One of our customers cannot get the install to work on the designated
machine, but can install on another machine that is supposedly set up
identically.  Obviously, there is some difference in the security
settings somewhere.

Thanks for any help,
Brent