Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/04/2019 23:24, Ashwin Agrawal wrote:
>     BTW, can I express a small measure of disappointment that the name for
>     the thing under discussion on this thread chose to be called
>     "zedstore"?  That seems to invite confusion with "zheap", especially
>     in parts of the world where the last letter of the alphabet is
>     pronounced "zed," where people are going to say zed-heap and
>     zed-store. Brr.
>
> Surprised its felt this thread would initiate the invitation to
> confusion. Based on past internal and meetup discussions for few quite
> sometime now, the confusion already exists for zheap pronunciation
> because of the reason mentioned, as last letter is not pronounced
> universally same. Hence we explicitly called it zedstore to learn from
> and make the pronunciation world wide universal for new thing atleast.

Yeah, you can blame me for the name. It's a pun on zheap. I'm hoping we
come up with a better name before this matures; I'm thinking it could be
just "column store" or something like that in the end, but it's good to
have a more unique name during development.

- Heikki