Re: securing the sql server ?

От Condor
Тема Re: securing the sql server ?
Дата
Re: securing the sql server ?  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:32:39 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Condor <condor@stz-bg.com> wrote:
>> Hello ppl,
>> any one can tell me how I can secure linux server with database
>> postgres for
>> example ?
>> Im thinking to make a cryptfs file system and to deploy database
>> over the
>> cryptfs. The problem
>> here may will be when front end need any data for in/out cpus of the
>> server
>> will aways
>>  decrypt/encrypt data and performance will be very low.
>>
>> I remember a few months ago some one ask similar question about how
>> he can
>> crypt data that is
>> stored on database and problem was the key. Key is stored on the
>> same server
>> if some one
>> get access can decrypt data.
>>
>> Any one have some ideas how to make something like crypt bubble and
>> to store
>> database there ?
>> Or something else ?
>
> Worrying about security without defining and understanding the
> threats
> you face is a pointless exercise.  If you are worried about physical
> loss of the drive, a better defense is to encrypt/decrypt sensitive
> data on the client so that the server is not exposed to the key.
> Obviously, this has downsides like not being able to index or ad hoc
> search the data in question.  So, who are you worried about -- what
> are the threats?
>
> merlin

I did not worry about hackers attack, I worrying how to secure data
if I physical loss hard drives or server. Let's just imagine that you
have
a server and you store on it important data like credit cards, bank
acc,
password, clients names, addresses, social numbers, phone numbers and
some think like that ... very important information. When front end is
secured Im worry if I loss hard drives or server. I think if some one
buy so expensive server is not necessary some one with gun to watching
it.

R.

Сообщение: Re: securing the sql server ?
Сообщение: Re: securing the sql server ?