Re: Built-in connection pooling

От Konstantin Knizhnik
Тема Re: Built-in connection pooling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 18.04.2018 16:09, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 18 April 2018 at 19:52, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>
>> As far as I know most of DBMSes have some kind of internal connection
>> pooling.
>> Oracle, for example, you can create dedicated and non-dedicated backends.
>> I wonder why we do not want to have something similar in Postgres.
> I want to, and I know many others to.
>
> But the entire PostgreSQL architecture makes it hard to do well, and
> means it requires heavy changes to do it in a way that will be
> maintainable and reliable.
>
> Making it work, and making something maintainble and mergeable, are
> two different things. Something I continue to struggle with myself.

Here I completely agree with you.
Now my prototype "works": it is able to correctly handle errors,
transaction rollbacks, long living transactions,... but I am completely
sure that there are a lot of not tested cases when it will work
incorrectly. But still I do not think that making built-in connection
pooling really reliable is something unreachable.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: Built-in connection pooling
Сообщение: Re: Built-in connection pooling