Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 12:24 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Other opinions out there perhaps?  I think your proposals are
> > > good, but
> > > I'm not sure to what extent people are automatically parsing the
> > > pg_waldump output and are relying on a particular fixed format.
>
> I personally don't care either way about this change. But:
>
> > While I've used pg_waldump a number of times to investigate various
> > problems, I have never written a script that would be broken by the
> > proposed changes.  It seems the requirements vary every time.
>
> I'm not too concerned either. There's plenty change of the WAL
> contents across versions anyway. We shouldn't break things
> gratuitously, but we shouldn't hesitate to make the format better
> either.
>
> If somebody really wanted something that parses reasonably across
> versions I'd like to a) hear that usecase b) come up with an output
> format that's oriented towards that.

+1 to that

I do process pg_waldump output quite often, and IMHO it's more valuable
to produce consistently formatted output (for a given version) than try
maintaining cross-version compatibility at all costs.

regards

Сообщение: Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE
Сообщение: Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE