Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Дата
Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Not with:
>
> Table "public.companies"
>
>     [...]
>    "organizations_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (company_nbr)
>
> That would throw duplicate key errors.
>
> Are you sure that you did not do this on the contacts table as the company FK
> back to companies?

Adrian,

Yes, I'm sure. Early yesterday I did get duplicate key errors. That's when I
looked on stackexchange to learn how to reset the sequence's max value to
the value of the number of rows in the table. Not only did my attempt to add
a single new company to the companies table change all company names in that
one industry to the new name, but I just discovered that it changed all rows
in that column to the new company name:

  company_nbr |                  company_name
-------------+-------------------------------------------------
            1 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            2 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            3 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            4 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            5 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            6 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            7 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            8 | Markowitz Herbold PC
            9 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           10 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           11 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           12 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           13 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           14 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           15 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           16 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           17 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           18 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           19 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           20 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           22 | Markowitz Herbold PC
           23 | Markowitz Herbold PC
--More--

So now I need to extract the companies table data from my 2024-06-10 backup
and use that to update the entire table. Sigh. There are 2101 rows in that
table and I must have forgotten to specify industry for that one new
addition. Not like me to do so, but it's the only explanation I have.

It might be quicker for me to restore the entire database from that backup
and then insert all new table rows since I have saved all the scripts.

Regards,

Rich

Сообщение: Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows
Сообщение: Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows