Re: lower() and unaccent() not leakproof

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: lower() and unaccent() not leakproof
Дата
Re: lower() and unaccent() not leakproof  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 26.08.21 06:52, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 25, 2021, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com
> <mailto:xof@thebuild.com>> wrote:
>
>     lower() and unaccent() (and most string functions) are not marked as
>     leakproof.  Is this due to possible locale / character encoding
>     errors they might encounter?
>

> I think you are partially correct.  Its due to the fact that error
> messages, regardless of the root cause, result in the printing of the
> input value in the error message as context, thus exists a leak via a
> violation of “ It reveals no information about its arguments other than
> by its return value. ”

I think if you trace the code, you might find that lower() and upper()
can't really leak anything.  It might be worth taking a careful look and
possibly lifting this restriction.

Сообщение: Re: lower() and unaccent() not leakproof
Сообщение: Re: lower() and unaccent() not leakproof