Re: Restoring using PG_DUMP in PG12 results in

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Restoring using PG_DUMP in PG12 results in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/14/22 06:39, Shukla, Pranjal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We tried importing into an empty database in PG 12 from the dump that
> was created in PG 10. Import was successful but we got an message that
> an error was ignored. We agin imported with -e option and the following
> message was printed:
>
> pg_restore: while PROCESSING TOC:
>
> pg_restore: from TOC entry 6; 2615 2200 SCHEMA public postgres
>
> pg_restore: error: could not execute query: ERROR:schema "public"
> already exists

Basically an informational error that tells you that the restore was
trying to create an object that already exists, in this case the pubic
schema. Not really an issue.

> Command was: CREATE SCHEMA public;
>
> There are some blogs that ar pointing to that fact the error is because
> of different versions of PG Admin Utility namely different versions of
> pg_dump() and pg_resotre() command in source and destination versions.
> We use the following command for pg_dump and pg_restore.
>

>  1. Have you faced this scenario?
>  2. Off the approaches mentioned above, which one do you think we should
>     opt for while doing migration from PG 10 to 12 (in different machines)?

Honestly I could not follow what you did. Best practice when moving from
older version to newer version is to use the newer version's pg_dump
against the older version and then use the newer versions pg_restore or
psql(for text dumps) to restore.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com