Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: Batch/pipelining support for libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    Andres Freund wrote:

> FWIW, I still think this needs a pgbench or similar example integration,
> so we can actually properly measure the benefits.

Here's an updated version of the patch I made during review,
adding \beginbatch and \endbatch to pgbench.
The performance improvement appears clearly
with a custom script of this kind:
  \beginbatch
     UPDATE pgbench_branches SET bbalance = bbalance + 1 WHERE bid = 0;
     ..above repeated 1000 times...
  \endbatch

versus the same with a BEGIN; END; pair instead of \beginbatch \endbatch

On localhost on my desktop I tend to see a 30% difference in favor
of the batch mode with that kind of test.
On slower networks there are much bigger differences.

The latest main patch (v10) must also be slightly updated for HEAD,
because of this:
error: patch failed: src/interfaces/libpq/exports.txt:171
v11 attached without any other change.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité