Fwd: Multiple disks: RAID 5 or PG Cluster

От Yves Vindevogel
Тема Fwd: Multiple disks: RAID 5 or PG Cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
cc ...

Begin forwarded message:

</color></bold>Yves Vindevogel <<yves.vindevogel@implements.be>

Jun 2005 18:18:53 CEST

<<lists@boutiquenumerique.com>

[PERFORM] Multiple disks: RAID 5 or PG Cluster

</bold>

There's a basic difference between striping (raid 0) and mirroring
(raid 1)

With striping, each file is distributed over several disks, making the
physical write faster because several disks can do the work.  Same for
reading, multiple disks return a part of the file.

Striping can not be used for safety/backup, if one disk fails, your
file is lost (if it is partly on that failing disk).  With mirroring
you do not lose any disk space.

Mirroring is a technique for avoiding disasters when you have a disk
failure.  Every file is written twice, each time to a different disk,
which is a mirror of the first one.

You effectively lose half of your diskspace to that mirror.  But when
a disk fails, you don't lose anything, since you can rely on the other
mirrored disk.

Raid 10, which is the combination of that, has both.  You have
multiple disks that form your first part of the raid and you have an
equal amount of disks for the mirror.

On each part of the mirror, striping is used to spread the files like
in a raid 0.  This is a very costly operation.  You need a minimum of
4 disks, and you lose 50% of your capacity.

BTW: mirroring is always slower than striping.