Re: Domain vs table

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Domain vs table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Michal Szymanski <mich20061@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I've found answer to my question
> http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2009/01/fk_check_enum_or_domain_that_is_the_question/

I mostly agree with the comments on the blog but let me throw a couple
more points out there:

*) It is possible (although not necessarily advised) to manipulate
enums via direct manipulation of pg_enum
*) enums are the best solution if you need natural ordering properties
for indexing purposes
*) domains can't be used in arrays
*) foreign key is obviously preferred if you need store more related
properties than the value itself
*) if the constraint is complicated (not just a list of values), maybe
domain/check constraint is preferred, possibly hooked to immutable
function

merlin