Re: Delphi connection ?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Delphi connection ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> Andy Colson wrote:
>>
>> Nico Callewaert wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>  I tried already in the ODBC list, but without success...
>>>  I have to develop a client/server application, heavily transaction
>>> oriented, that will serve around 100 users and database traffic will be
>>> intense (lot's of reads, updates, inserts....).
>>> Development environment is Delphi 2007.  I know there are a few
>>> commercial components available, but I was wondering if ODBC could do the
>>> job ? So, my question is, if ODBC is intended to be used for that ?  Many
>>> simultanous connections, lots of inserts, updates ?
>>> The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?
>>>  Many thanks in advance,
>>> Best regards,
>>>  Nico Callewaert
>>
>> I don't know about odbc, never used it to hit PG.  I use Delphi and wrote
>> a simple object on top of the libpq api.  The api is simple to use.  If odbc
>> doesn't work out for you I'd recommend using libpq direct.
>
> I have using an older Delphi (v3), ODBC itself I believe was fine but the
> BDE layer introduced problems- apps needed to be rebooted evey month or so.
>
> Note that ODBC doesn't easily support any non-standard facilities, e.g.
> listen/notify.

The BDE was terrible, as were the native drives that Borland provided
with Delphi (Paradox, etc).  3rd party drives (Zeos) eventually
arrived to fix the problem but by that point Delphi had lost the war
with Visual Basic.  That's really tragic, because even early versions
of Delphi/c++ builder are STILL the best win32 development tools out
there in many ways...especially designing interfaces.

merlin