Re: commercial adaptation of postgres

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: commercial adaptation of postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Dennis Gearon<gearond@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I once talked to a company that made a custome version of Postgres. It split tables up on columns and also by rows,
hadsome other custome features. It was enormously faster from what I gathered.

Faster at some things :-).  column oriented db is a tradeoff...it's
less work to get one or two columns but your record is not guaranteed
to be in one place on disk...which has obvious downsides.  I don't
have any evidence other than my gut, but I betcha column db being an
'evolutionary step' above current methods is mostly hype.  However for
certain workloads I'm sure it's great...

merlin

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: killing processes
От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: element from an array by its index