Re: simple plpgsql / sql function question

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: simple plpgsql / sql function question
Дата
Re: simple plpgsql / sql function question  (Joshua <joshua@joshuaneil.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Joshua <joshua@joshuaneil.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have a series of SQL Update statements. I would like to write a
>  function which runs all of the SQL Update statements one at a time, in
>  order from top to bottom. Can somebody share the basic syntax that I
>  would need to write the aforementioned function?

please ask future questions of this nature on the general list.  the
hackers list is reserved for things pertaining to postgresql
development.

anywyays, the answer is easy:
sql (imo preferred for this case):
create function do_stuff returns void as
$$ update foo set bar = 1 where foo_id = 2; [repeat as necessary]
$$ language sql;

plpgsql:
create function do_stuff returns void as
$$ begin   update foo set bar = 1 where foo_id = 2;   [repeat as necessary] end;
$$ language plpgsql;

merlin