Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2/14/07, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:
> Hi Merlin,
>
> On 2/14/07 8:20 AM, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am curious what is your take on the maximum insert performance, in
> > mb/sec of large bytea columns (toasted), and how much if any greenplum
> > was able to advance this over the baseline.  I am asking on behalf of
> > another interested party.  Interested in numbers broken down per core
> > on 8 core quad system and also aggreate.
>
> Our approach is to attach a segment to each core, so we scale INSERT
> linearly on number of cores.  So the per core limit we live with is the
> 10-20MB/s observed here.  We'd like to improve that so that we get better
> performance with smaller machines.
>
> We have demonstrated insert performance of 670 MB/s, 2.4TB/hour for
> non-toasted columns using 3 load machines against 120 cores.  This rate was
> load machine limited.
>
> WRT toasted bytea columns we haven't done any real benchmarking of those.
> Do you have a canned benchmark we can run?

Interested in how fast you can insert binary objects (images, files,
etc). into the database as a file storage system.  Ultimately the
insertions would all be done via libpq ExecPrepared/Params.  A simple
benchmark such as insert a 1mb object via pg_bench over 20 or so
connections would be fine.  Mostly interested in raw throughput per
core and especially interested if you can beat stock pg on the same
hardware.

merlin